Today’s podcast guest is Rachelle Martin, a nutritionist who specialises in low carbohydrate (carb) and ketogenic (Keto) diets. Rachelle and I studied our Masters in Human Nutrition at Deakin University together and she alludes to our many interesting discussions and debates during that time. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode with Rachelle; her attention to detail and depth of knowledge is apparent in the interview. Rachelle explains the difference between the Paleo and Keto diets, both of which are low carb diets but are significantly different in terms of the ratios of fats, proteins and carbs consumed.
Given the current popularity of the diets with celebrities and the like, it can be tempting to lump them into the fad category. However, in relation to the Keto diet, Rachelle explains its scientifically documented anti-inflammatory effects and the numerous benefits that flow from that. In her nutritional practice Rachelle has seen weight loss, the reversal of Type 2 Diabetes, improvements in symptoms of patients with Alzheimer’s disease, polycystic ovarian syndrome and insulin resistance. It is a fascinating area to be practising in.
Following are links to some of the information Rachelle mentions during the interview:
- Dr. Stephen Phinney and Dr. Jeff Volek, Co-Founders of Virta Health: https://blog.virtahealth.com
- Dr. Tim Noakes, Founder of The Noakes Foundation: https://thenoakesfoundation.org/prof-noakes
- The Magic Pill is available on Netflix.
- If you want to connect with Rachelle and you live in Adelaide, you can contact her at her office:
- Unley Park Nutrition – Telephone: (08) 8373 4944
- You can also connect with her via Instagram: @rachellemartin69