Today I have an entertaining chat with Lyndall Vandenberg, South Australian State Manager of OzHarvest.
OzHarvest, an organisation founded by Ronni Kahn AO, collects quality excess food from commercial outlets, like supermarkets, hotels and restaurants, and delivers the rescued food directly to more than 1,300 charities across Australia. Each week OzHarvest rescues 180 tonnes of food from over 3,500 food donors. You might be surprised to hear some of the statistics surrounding food waste in Australia e.g. 4 million people in Australia experience food insecurity each year. The need is real and OzHarvest is playing an enormous role towards addressing this need.
Lyndall has never stopped exploring, nor has she been afraid of seeking and implementing change in her life. Lyndall’s career started in hairdressing but she knew this did not fulfil her so she moved towards her passion – food, fresh produce and community – and has never looked back. She’s worked at farmers’ markets, in food styling and photography and at the famous Stefano’s in Mildura where she launched a successful line of preserves. For the last few years, Lyndall has been based in Adelaide at OzHarvest, a job she loves.
- OzHarvest: https://www.ozharvest.org
- OzHarvest Adelaide: https://www.ozharvest.org/adelaide/
- My Five Minute Food Facts podcast on food waste: https://amandaswellbeingpodcast.com/food-waste/
- Stefano’s: https://www.stefano.com.au
- Sunraysia Farmers’ Market: https://www.facebook.com/SunraysiaFarmersMarket/
- Willunga Farmers Market: https://www.willungafarmersmarket.com.au