You’ve either heard of Wim Hof (AKA The Iceman) or, like me, when you do hear about him, you wonder how on earth you had not heard about him sooner!
Today I chat with Kym Burls, Certified Wim Hof Method (WHM) Instructor based in Adelaide, all about the WHM. Kym starts with a potted biography of Wim – he’s a fascinating man – and tells us about his own journey to discovering the WHM. In a nutshell, the WHM consists of three pillars, that when practiced together, result in an array of health benefits including increased energy, improved sleep quality, immune system regulation and improved mental and physical performance. Who doesn’t want those things?
The three pillars are:
- Breathing exercises;
- Gradual exposure to the cold; and
- Training of mindset / concentration
Wim’s extraordinary feats (think climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in shorts and standing in a container while covered with ice cubes for more than 112 minutes) caught the attention of scientists and Kym tells us about some of the interesting studies Wim has participated in that have caused scientist to rethink the ability to influence the autonomic nervous system, previously thought to be impossible. We also spend time discussing the benefits of nose breathing. Kym, for good reason, as you’ll hear, is a strong advocate.
Do something for your health and listen to my chat with Kym Burls.
LINKS MENTIONED IN THE EPISODE
- Wim Hof method: https://www.wimhofmethod.com
- Amanda’s book reviews: https://amandaswellbeingpodcast.com/books/
- Podcast episode about breathwork with John Stamoulos: https://amandaswellbeingpodcast.com/john-stamoulos/
- The Physical Performance Show podcast episode with James Fletcher: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/225-expert-edition-james-fletcher-physiotherapist-exercise/id1102703989?i=1000485819623
- “Breath” by James Nestor: https://www.bookdepository.com/Breath-James-Nestor/9780241289082?ref=grid-view&qid=1600666397005&sr=1-2
PEOPLE WHO INSPIRE KYM
- Brian MacKenzie – breathing & stress control – @brianmacKenzie
- Tony Riddle – rewilding our lives – @thenaturallifestylist
- Paul Stamets – the importance of fungi in our lives – @paulstamet